Who is a retailer?
A retailer is a middleman who buys goods from manufacturers or wholesalers usually in large quantities and sells directly to many consumers in smaller and convenient quantities.
Functions of a retailer
- Provides goods in convenient quantities
- Provides goods in convenient locations
- provides goods at convenient times
- Provides variety of goods
- Storage- A retailer maintains a ready stock of goods and displays them in his/her shop
- Grading and Packing – The retailer grades the goods which are not graded by manufacturers and wholesalers. He packs goods in small lots for the convenience of consumers.
- May provide pre-sales and after-sales services
- May provide credit facilities
- May provide delivery services for some goods
- Deals with customers’ complaints
- Provides advice and information to the customers